We are thrilled to announce that in 2020 the Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park were awarded a Heritage Fund grant to help us create a Conservation Management Plan that will help us plan for our future. This grant will span over the course of 2 years and will also enable us to expand our offer of heritage activities and training across the site.
The Conservation Management Plan will help us to better understand and conserve our history, the biodiversity of our site and the things our community love best about Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park. The Conservation Management Plan will involve input from our community, our stakeholders and from heritage and biodiversity professionals to help us better understand the significance of our amazing historic cemetery and urban woodland.
A Conservation Management Plan is a document that will help us:
- Describe our heritage
- Understand why the Cemetery Park matters and to whom
- Understand what is happening to our heritage and what needs preserving
- Understand what the key issues are that will affect the Cemetery Park
- Plan conservation and restoration works for the future
- Improve public access
- Plan activities that engage the whole community
The Conservation Management Plan will help Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park plan for our future. Understanding what needs to be done, why it needs to be done and who will do the work is vital. This knowledge will help us to then create a maintenance plan to care for the Cemetery Park to guide us on what needs doing on a day to day basis. From who cuts the grass and plants the spring daffodils, to when the health and safety checks need completing and how we conduct cleaning and repairs on our vast array of headstones and monuments.
We are currently in the final stages of recruiting a consultant who will help us with all stages of the plan, from historical research and surveys of the site to community workshops and training sessions for our volunteers. As our work on the Conservation Management Plan progresses we will need the help and support of our whole community to understand our history, what
Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park means to the people who use it and how we can make the Cemetery Park more accessible and engaging in the future.
You can get involved by:
- Becoming a volunteer and helping us to research our history, conduct community surveys, report on the
condition of our monuments and run or assist with conservation activities at the Cemetery Park.
- Hosting a talk or workshop with your group or workplace with one of the team at Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park, either in person or online.
- Telling us what you’d like to see happen at the Cemetery Park and your ideas for events and activities by emailing us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Helping us spread the word by offering to share our surveys and consulation groups with your family, friends, workmates and community and joining in yourself of course!
- Following us on social media and keeping up to date with what’s happening at Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park and our work on Conservation Planning. You can find us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Attending our events, both in person and virtually and telling us what worked well and what didn’t and how we could do things differently in the future
To find out more about the Conservation Management Plan, or to express an interest in becoming a stakeholder or volunteer for the project, please contact our Heritage Officer, Claire, on email@example.com. You can also find copies of our invitation to tender and our project brief below on our heritage blog.